My origianl question:
>> One of my users wanted to set the error bell off in vi, but the
>> set noerrorbells option did not turn off the bell.
>> The machine is a Sparcstation 1 running SunOS 4.1.1 Rev B. Is there
>> any way to turn the bell off?
1. Under OpenWindows, you can use the properties sheet to turn off bells.
(This did not work for me.)
2. With xterm, use the -vb (VisualBell) option to lose bells there as well.
3. Under openlook or X11, xset b 0 0 0.
(There was still a beep, but it was very quiet.)
4. Create a termcap for them, in which "bl=^G" clause is removed.
(I did this for both termcap & terminfo. It works fine.)
5. Create a termcap & terminfo entry that uses the visual bell instead
of the regular beep.
(I didn't try this, but assume its just like option 4.)
Unix Sys Admin, UMKC
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Fri Sep 28 2001 - 23:06:18 CDT