I asked a myriad of questions concerning installing a 200 MB drive
inside of a SPARCstation pizza box. Thanks to this list I learned
1. According to Sun, it is not a good idea to put a 200 MB drive inside of
a SPARC 1/1+ chassis. Evidently the SPARCstation 2 upgrade includes a
chassis swap partially because of this limitation.
2. Sun seems to have switched disk drive vendors from Quantum to Maxtor,
at least for the 200MB disk drives.
3. The SPARCstation 2 uses that same mounting brackets as the 1/1+
4. Suggested vendors:
Anadataco (800) 334-9191 Maxtor 207 $925
Alliance Peripheral System (800) 233-7550 Quantum 105 $499
For others, check the Sun Observer or Sun Tech Journal
5. One respondent had 4 out of 9 Maxtor LXT-200S drives fail in 6 months
(presumably in the SPARC 1/1+ enclosure). They have switched to the
Imprimis/Seagate ST1239NS drive.
6. After sending out the message, I learned from our sale's rep. that
Sun is selling additional 200MB internal drives as an option at a
list price of $1500; with our educational discount this is very
close to the prices offered by 3rd parties.
Khaled Lootah firstname.lastname@example.org
Eduardo Krell email@example.com
Jim Battan firstname.lastname@example.org
Drew Dean email@example.com
Joel Rem firstname.lastname@example.org
Mike Raffety email@example.com
Dept. of Pharmaceutical Chemistry firstname.lastname@example.org
University of California, San Francisco ..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!mday
Voice: (415) 476-5326 FAX: (415) 476-0688
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Fri Sep 28 2001 - 23:05:59 CDT