The solution to this was pretty simple: I needed to ensure that the
/etc/nsswitch.conf file had a hosts: line that looked like this:
hosts: files dns
I made the change, and everything's singing right along.
Thanks are due to Hicham, Casper, Edwin, Michael, and Dan. As others
have pointed out, this list really is terrific.
** Sometime around 4:57 AM -0400 4/29/00, Vince Sabio said:
>I apparently declared success too soon in my previous message. Turns
>out, nslookup can resolve names just fine -- but clients like ftp
>and netscape navigator are unable to resolve domain names at all.
>This is really strange.
>I put two name servers into resolv.conf, and they seem to be
>working, since nslookup is using them (well, the primary, at least)
>without a hitch.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Fri Sep 28 2001 - 23:14:06 CDT