I posted a couple of weeks ago with a question about a tape that
apparently had an EOM at the beginning of the tape, even though
there were plenty of files written out to it.
I still don't know how the tape got damaged in that way, but this
is what I did to fix it:
I got 5-6 replies, and two of them seemed useful: one was from Rob
Quinn <firstname.lastname@example.org>, who said that he recovered from a similar
situation by writing a file to the beginning of the tape, then
powering down the tape drive in the middle of the write. The other
was from Paulo L de Geus <email@example.com>, who suggested
using low-level SCSI commands to advance the tape "by hand".
Since I was unable to find out how to issue low-level SCSI commands
to the tape drive, I opted for the brute-force solution described
by Rob. It worked like a charm; the first file on the tape was
clobbered, of course, but everything else was recoverable.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Fri Sep 28 2001 - 23:06:42 CDT