I sent the following:
>Since I received no replies, I thought I'd try again and see if someone would
>at least acknowledge seeing this.
>> We are running 4.0.3 and have added swap space using a mkfile and swapon.
>> This seems to work fine except that this file is included in our dumps, an
>> additional 25MB's.
>> How can we do dumps and exclude this swap file?
>> Thanks Russ <firstname.lastname@example.org>
>Thanks, Russ <email@example.com>
Apparently, my original post did not go out.
Thanks for the many replies. The summary follows.
1. list the files and directories to be dumped on the command line (or
set up the list in a file, see dump(8))
2. put the swap files in their own separate partition (and set the
backup flat to 0 in /etc/fstab)
don't use mkfile so won't have to use filesystem to access swap
spread to several disks / controllers offers speed advantage
3. use tar -X or tar and compress or GNU tar or bar or cpio -f or Legato
NetWorker 2.0 instead
4. use 4.1 to explicitly exclude files (explicitly include files?)
5. "... do a "dummy" level 0 dump, say to /dev/null, touch the files you
wanted to backup, and run a higher level dump (1 perhaps?).
This wouldn't work with the swap file, as it would be
continuously updated. ..."
6. "... doesn't work for level-0 dumps, but should do the trick for all
your incrementals ..."
"... [before the 'swapon swapfile' is executed]
mount the filesystem that contains the swapfile
reset the date to a date before the last level-0 dump
'touch' the swapfile
set the date back to today
unmount the filesystem
do the dump ..."
7. "... since you should at least umount the filesystems, why not erase
the file altogether ? ..."
8. use an exabyte for backups, then 25MB is trivial
9. make the swap file with -n (dynamic allocation) option
10. write a program (man utimes) to change modification time
Thanks to all who responded, including
I shall put swap into a separate partition.
Thanks, Russ <firstname.lastname@example.org>
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Fri Sep 28 2001 - 23:06:15 CDT